This is a Mexican soup that is soooo tasty, It’s a very hearty soup and served with warm bread makes a delicious meal.
Albondigas means “meatballs” in Spanish……and the meatballs are what makes this soup special.
This soup has become a family staple for cold winter days.
Here’s the thing: use all your favorite vegetables! (Or whatever you find in the fridge….)
Just throw all your chopped veggies into a pot along with the consomme’,water, tomatoes and spices and simmer away! The smell is fabulous!
But it’s ALL ABOUT THE MEATBALLS! They push this soup over the top! Make them as large or small as you like.
- 2 cans Campbells beef consomme'
- 2 cans water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped vegetables any variation of potatoes, yams, zucchini, green pepper, etc.
- 1 large can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds lean hamburger
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- ¾ cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 egg
- In large soup pot, combine all soup ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat to low, simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix all meatball ingredients together.
- Form into 1 inch meatballs.
- After soup has simmered for an hour, turn heat to high and bring back to a boil.
- Drop meatballs into soup, stir gently.
- Bring back to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer 1 hour.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.