These Cherry Pie Bars are reminiscent of my mom’s delicious cherry pie. The filling is made special with cinnamon and almond extract. The crust is a total cheat with packaged sugar cookie dough. BUT, let me tell ya….this cheat WORKS! These are AMAZING!!!! And easy to throw together.
Throw in an egg and this right here is everything that you need….
So we make these fast and dirty…whipping eggs, adding the packaged mix….
…and stirring in melted butter.
Remove about 3/4 – 1 cup of the dough for the topping and set aside.
Press the dough into a baking dish or cookie sheet and it’s done. The recipe is for a 9×9 baking dish…but I am making it for a bigger group here. Make it work in whatever size pan you have available…just bake until the crust is done.
Mix the cinnamon and almond extract into the canned cherry pie filling and spread it over the dough.
Break the dough you saved for the topping into pieces an sprinkle all over.
***I forgot to double the amount of dough I saved out here….so the topping is a little sparse. I’m sure you won’t make that mistake.
Throw it in to bake…I just check the center with my finger to make sure it’s cooked. There is probably a better way to check but that’s what I do.
Let them cool and cut them up.
Cherry Pie Bars
- 1 egg
- 1 pouch Sugar Cookie mix 17.5 ounces
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 21 ounce cherry pie filling, canned
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Prepare 8×8 0r 9×9" baking dish by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper.
- Whisk eggs. Stir in cookie mix.
- Add butter and mix well.
- Remove about 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Press remaining dough into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Mix the cherry pie filling with the almond extract and cinnamon.
- Spread over the crust. Take the dough that has been set aside and break it into clumps on top of the cherries.
- Bake on a lower rack for 25-30 minutes.**If you double the recipe you may need to cook up to 10 minutes longer.
- Cool for 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.