One Christmas in the 90’s my husband bought me a wok. We had so much fun making all sorts of fun dishes. This fried rice became a regular for dinner. It’s one of my husband’s favorites. I always double this because it makes fabulous leftovers.
I use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. As for veggies, use whatever you like!
I like to use basmati rice but simple long-grain rice is fine. The important thing is that it is completely chilled. I generally cook it the night before and throw it in the fridge.
Star out by cutting up all the veggies…
Heat oil in the wok or skillet and add the garlic and then veggies. Stir fry until onion is soft.
Stir in the rice and stir fry for 8-10 minutes.
Add in the peas, water chestnuts and chicken.
Mix the sauce and stir in.
Make a well and pour eggs in center. Allow to sit and cook for a bit.
Stir fry until the eggs are cooked through.
Garnish with green onions and extra soy sauce.
Chicken Fried Rice
- Wok or large skillet
- 4 cups basmati rice, cooked and chilled **Or long grain white rice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup green onions, chopped for garnish
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in wok or large skillet. Add garlic and cook and stir 30 seconds.
- Add onion, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Stir fry until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 more Tbsps olive oil. Add rice and stir fry for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Create a well in the rice exposing the wok. Whisk together the eggs and pour into well. Allow to sit and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir egg into rice and continue stir frying until egg is cooked through.
- Stir in the peas and water chestnuts.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients and stir into rice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with additional soy sauce.