Chicken Mole (pronounced MOL-ay) is popular Mexican dish with chicken in a complex sauce often made up of chicken broth, chilis, Mexican chocolate, ground nuts, garlic, onion and spices like cumin.
This Mole Pizza has a mole sauce on it, that is not complex. It is a “mock mole sauce.” It if fast, easy and delicious making this a perfect weeknight meal. I found this recipe years ago in one of the small seasonal cookbooks from Pampered Chef circa 2005. I’ve adapted it and changed it a little through the years.
I also love using a pre-made pizza crust. You can totally do this same pizza on some raw dough and bake like you would for any other homemade pizza.
Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk till all the chocolate bits are smooth and melted.
Spread the sauce over the crust.
In a small mixing bowl toss together the chicken, onions, bell pepper and olives. This is a GREAT way to use up leftover shredded chicken. I also love using Rotisserie chicken, but I most often use the COSTCO brand canned chicken. It is perfect in this recipe. I just use 1 can, and it’s enough.
Spread the chicken mix over the sauce on the crust.
Place the sliced tomatoes around on top, then sprinkle on the cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 16-18 minutes. I bake it straight on the oven rack so the bottom of the crust gets a little crisp.
Chicken Mole Pizza
- 1 large pre-made pizza crust
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups shredded chicken, rotisserie or Costco canned chicken work great
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup olives, sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup Colby jack cheddar cheese, grated
- cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a microwave safe dish stir together all the sauce ingredients, except the crust.
- Heat in a microwave for 30 seconds, then whisk till the chocolate is all melted. Heat a little longer if needed to melt more.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the pre-made crust.
- In a small mixing bowl toss together the chicken, onions, bell pepper and olives. Spread evenly over the sauce on the crust.
- Spread the sliced tomatoes over the chicken topping. Sprinkle the cheese over the tomatoes.
- Bake at 425° for 16-18 minutes. I place the pizza straight onto the rack so the bottom gets a crisp on it.
- Slide onto a pizza stone or cutting board from the oven. Cut into slices, and garnish with cilantro.