Chicken Piccata is a dish that makes me happy when I am sad. It’s just the kind of meal that will make your day better. I would totally classify this as a comfort food because it just IS. But it is also quite elegant and would be beautiful served at any special occasion.
What could be better? Thin, tender chicken…breaded and pan-fried…topped with a wonderful lemon butter sauce. It makes my mouth water just to think of it.
Possibly the biggest challenge in making this is pounding out the chicken. You just have to commit…I place a breast between 2 pieces of parchment paper and pound away with a mallet. I will tell you that there was a time that I didn’t own a mallet and I did it with a hammer. Make it work!
It will really feel like the chicken is going to fall apart because it kind of does! But don’t worry about that too much. I leave each piece on the parchment so that I can use the parchment to handle the chicken.
I like to use pie plates for the breading process. Lay out 3 and fill with:
- Flour with salt and pepper
- Eggs whipped with a little water
- Seasoned bread crumbs
Pick up the chicken with the parchment and flip it into the flour mixture. Use a fork and your hands to gently turn and coat it with flour. Carefully shake off any extra flour.
Dip into eggs and then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
Fry in heated olive oil for about 2 minutes on each side.
Place on baking sheet and bake while preparing lemon-butter sauce.
For the sauce clean out the skillet with paper towels and melt 1 Tbsp of butter and add in lemon juice, broth, and salt and pepper.
Boil for a couple of minutes until sauce is reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter.
Plate the chicken and spoon on the delicious sauce.
Top with fresh chopped parsley and lemon slices.
Serve with your favorite potatoes and a salad. ENJOY!
- 3-4 chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 large eggs **Start with 2 eggs and add another if needed
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup lemon juice (2 lemons) *save lemon halves
- ½ cup chicken broth
- lemons and fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place one chicken breast at a time between 2 pieces of parchment paper or cling wrap and pound it out to about ¼ inch thick. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken.
- Fill 3 different pie plates or pans:1-Mix flour, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.2-Beat eggs with 1 tsp water.3-Breadcrumbs
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip one chicken breast in flour shaking off excess.Dip both sides in egg mixture.Dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Cook in heated oil for about 2 minutes per side. Place onto baking sheet. Continue with remaining chicken adding more oil as needed. Place onto baking sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 5-10 minutes while preparing the sauce.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Heat skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 Tbsp of butter and stir in lemon juice, broth, reserved lemon halves, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes until sauce is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 Tbsp butter.Remove lemon halves.
- Place chicken onto plate and spoon lemon sauce over each piece of chicken.Top with chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.