My mom has been making this salad for as long as I can remember. I love it for inviting girlfriends over for lunch, or for a hot summer night. You can add or leave out whichever treats you would like. My mom always puts Sesame seeds in, but I leave them out because I am allergic to sesame. If you hate nuts then leave the almonds out. Make it to your taste.
I start by using a packaged coleslaw mix. This is easier for prep, but also I love the added carrots and red cabbage in the mix. It adds more color and flavor to have those extra veggies.
If I am using this as a side dish, I don’t always add the chicken. After the cabbage, then add the chicken and any add ons you would like.
Mix the oil, vinegar, salt & pepper, and the seasoning packet that came with the ramen. Whisk it together.
Break up the ramen into small bite-sized pieces. I know this may seem strange, but they are SO good. The crunch adds SO much. However, they get soggy fast. They are the main reason this salad does not make good leftovers. Sometimes I set them aside separately to add on individually. If the salad is going to go fast, then I add them all in, which is usually the case.
Toss it all together and dish it up.
Chinese Chicken Salad
- 1 pkg chicken Top Ramen, break into pieces and set aside Save seasoning packets for dressing
- ½ head cabbage, 3-4 cups shredded **Using packaged coleslaw mix works great
- 2 cups chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces **marinade chicken in teriyaki sauce or other marinade and grill or broil. ***Rotisserie chicken also works well.
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds optional
- 2 green onions, sliced optional
- ½ cup sliced almonds optional
- ½ cup roasted sunflower seeds, shelled optional
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Ramen seasoning pack
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Mix all salad ingredients together except for the dry ramen noodles.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and mix well.
- Add broken up ramen noodles just before serving.