I love having at least one chocolate pie at the pie table after Thanksgiving Dinner. I always try to balance and add different pies, so we don’t end up with a whole bunch of fruit pies. Chess pie is a custard pie that originates from England but is very popular in the American South. I have worked on this chocolate version for years, and it is definitely one of our favorites. My daughter signs up to make it every year. She is now 22 and can make it all on her own.
Start by mixing the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt.
Then melt the chocolate and butter. I use a saucepan for this, on the stove. I have more control over the temperature that way. Be careful not to burn the butter or temper the chocolate.
Next pour the chocolate mix into the egg mix while whisking. Continue to mix till combined well. Then, pour into an unbaked pie shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Until done. There should be no liquid like movement in the center when you shimmy it.
Let it cool for about an hour before slicing and serving up.
We like to eat it with sweetened whipped cream and decorate with chocolate curls.
Chocolate Chess Pie
- 1 8-inch unbaked pie shell
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares
- ¾ cup butter 1½ sticks
- 1½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate. This can be done in the microwave also, but you have more control over the heat and time if done on the stove. Be very careful not to burn the butter or temper the chocolate.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mix into the egg mix, while whisking to keep the eggs from curdling. Continue to whisk till well combined.
- Pour into an 8- or 9-inch unbaked pie crust. Bake on the middle rack at 350° for 55 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. There should be no liquid like movement in the center.
- Cool slightly before serving. It is great to serve the next day. Store at room temperature. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and shaved chocolate curls if desired.