This is a simple, basic recipe that is always rich and delicious. I like to use just one can of clams and add half a pound of crumbled bacon. You could use two cans of clams AND still add the bacon! It’s a matter of taste. Add in at least one can of the clams undrained…..it heightens the flavor.
I always serve this on Christmas Eve. It’s a great soup to eat out of mugs by the fire. The grandkids call it “Christmas soup”.
Make this a full meal with warm toasted bread and a salad. Perfection.
Chop up the onions, celery and potatoes and add to large pot.
Pour about 4 cups of water over veggies….that should just cover it all.
Cook until everything is nice and tender.
In a separate pot melt the butter (don’t burn!). Whisk in the flour, salt, sugar and pepper making a roux.
Pour the milk into the hot roux and whisk until thickened.
This will make a thick and creamy white sauce.
Now just pour everything together!
Pour the white sauce into the veggies. Now stir in the clams and bacon.
Stir and heat through, salt and pepper to taste.
I like to top mine with mini shrimp. Mmm mmm GOOD!!!
- ¾ cup Onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup Celery chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut in ½ inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- ¾ cup Butter **(1½ cubes)
- ¾ cup Flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 quart milk *4 cups
- 1 or 2 6½ ounce cans Clams, minced one can drained, or both drained for less seafood flavor
- ½ pound bacon **cut into pieces and fry until crispy
- In a pot place all the veggies, onions, celery, potatoes – with just enough water to cover them all. Bring to a boil, slightly reduce heat.
- Cover, and simmer about 15-20 minutes, until all the veggies are cooked. DO NOT DRAIN!
- In a separate sauce pan, melt butter over medium-hi heat.
- Whisk in flour, salt, sugar and pepper. Whisk and cook for 1 minute until mixture is bubbly.
- Pour in milk. Whisk until it heats and thickens.
- Add white sauce to the cooked veggies. Stir and heat over medium-hi heat.
- Stir in clams and crumbled bacon. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.