I get a lot of requests for this recipe. I often make it for special gatherings, and friends coming over. They are great to put out while putting the finishing touches on a big meal.
HERE’S THE THING! These deviled eggs are basic. I don’t mean that in a negative way. I just mean they are simply delicious without too many contending flavors which is why everyone LOVES them!
Start by cooking 12 eggs. There are notes in the recipe on how to cook them in the Instant Pot. You can also cook them stove top by placing the eggs single layer in a large pot. Cover to an inch over the eggs with water. Set on the stove and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove eggs into an ice bath and let sit till cooled.
Peel the eggs, rinse them off and dry them.
Slice them lengthwise and pop the cooked yolks out into a bowl.
Mash up the yolks with a fork. Then add the mayonnaise, salt & pepper. I use the Kraft brand light mayonnaise with olive oil. I recommend using an electric hand mixer to really whip up the yolks, so they are smooth and creamy.
Depending on time, and how fancy I feel, I fill the egg white halves up with the creamy yolk filling with a spoon OR a piping bag with a cake decorating tip. Either way works!
Lightly sprinkle paprika over the top. They can be eaten right away, but we recommend chilling for an hour before eating.
Make sure they stay chilled, and do not sit out too long.
Classic Deviled Eggs
- 12 eggs
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise NOT miracle whip
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place the eggs in a single layer in a pot with water an inch over the top of the eggs. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 8 minutes. Drain immeiately and place in an ice bath till chilled.
- Peel the eggs, and rinse and dry.
- Slice lengthwise, and pop the cooked yolks into a bowl. Mash up the yolks with a fork.
- Add in the ⅓ cup of mayonnaise and salt & pepper. I recommend using an electric hand mixer so you can really whip and cream the filling.
- Using a spoon or a piping bag fill the yolks in to the egg white halves.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with smoked paprika.
- They can be eaten right away, but we recommend chilling for an hour at least. Make sure to keep refrigerated, and not let them sit out too long.
- If you have an Instant Pot try cooking your hard boiled eggs in there! Put the rack in the bottom. Fill with eggs in a single layer. Pour one cup of water in. Cook 5 minutes on High pressure. DO NOT relieve the pressure. Let it sit for 5 minutes doing a natural release. Then do a quick release. Remove the eggs, and sit them in an ice bath for 5 minutes.
- Just remember 5-5-5!