This is a regular “go to” meal in our home.
Who loves their Instant Pot? I DO! I use mine 2-3 times a week on average. This is one of our favorite Instant Pot dinners. If you don’t have an Instant Pot this can be made in the crockpot. Check that out in the recipe notes below.
Set the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Drizzle in the oil. Add in the onion and garlic. Sauté for a couple minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off. Place the chicken in on top of the onions and garlic. I always do a few pieces of thighs, and a few breasts. I like doing a mix, and I ALWAYS have put the chicken in frozen! It will cook to the point of shredding easily within 25 minutes. It’s like magic, and this is what I love most about using my instant pot.
Add in the rinsed beans, chili peppers, seasonings and broth. Place on and lock lid. Make sure the vent is closed.
When It beeps DO NOT release the steam right away. Let it sit for a bit while you prep the roux. In a small saucepan melt the better. Whisk in the flour, till smooth, and a light golden brown.
Release the steam on the pot. Open, and remove chicken pieces to a cutting board to shred it. Then place the chicken back in the pot. Turn on the saute function once again and pour the roux (butter and flour mix) into the pot. Stir and cook till thickened. Add and stir in the milk and sour cream. Turn the pot off.
Add in chopped cilantro, lime juice or True Lime, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with cheese, corn chips, avocado and sour cream.
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Instantpot or Crock pot
- 2½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 pounds chicken breast, skinless & boneless *can use thighs instead, I do a mix of both
- 3 14 ounce canned pinto beans drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 4 ounce green chilies, chopped *MILD
- ½ cup butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice *or 1 packet of True Lime
- ½ cup Colby Jack cheese, grated *OPTIONAL
- GARNISHES: cilantro, avocado & corn chips
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When "HOT" add olive oil. Add onion and stir for about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté another 30 seconds. Turn off sauté setting.
- Add in chicken, canned beans, chicken broth, spices and green chilies. Mix together.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure lid. Set valve to sealing. Set the manual button or pressure cook button to 20 minutes. Or 25 minutes if the chicken is frozen.
- When the timer beeps, leave lid on for another 10 minutes. Move the valve to venting to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to pot.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Turn the Insta Pot to "Saute" and stir butter mixture into the soup. Allow to cook for 5 minutes until soup thickens, stirring every minute or so.
- Stir in milk, sour cream, lime juice and chopped cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cheese, cilantro, avocado and corn chips!