Altha Dial was an amaziing woman and she was my grandma.
She was married to my grandpa, Clessie Napoleon, and they made quite a couple. They had 3 girls and 3 boys and my mom, Colleen was the youngest daughter and self-appointed leader of the pack of boys.
That’s my mom Colleen in the bottom row with her gang.
Her mother Altha was a beautiful and talented woman. And she was a wonderful Grandma.
Recently, something wonderful was passed on to me. Her handwritten recipe for Butter Cookies and her heart shaped cookie cutters. There is something really special about a handwritten recipe.
These cookies are a gift from my Grandma with love. They are NOT your regular sugar cookies. They are rich and buttery. You can frost them or just eat them with sprinkles.
Cream the butter and powdered sugar together. Then add in the egg, vanilla and milk.
Sift in the dry ingredients and mix together.
Roll out the dough and cut into shapes. Add sprinkles if you want and throw in the oven!
Let them cool and enjoy!
Grandma Altha’s Butter Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone sheets.
- Using a hand mixer mix the butter and powdered sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Combine dry ingredients and sift into the butter mixture. Mix well.
- Place half of dough onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle a little flour on top and roll out to ⅛-¼ inch thick.
- Place onto prepared baking sheets. Cover with sprinkles if desired.
- Bake 9-11 minutes. Cool on a rack.