I found my Mom’s Betty Crocker cookbook last week!
As I turned the pages it took me back in time. We have definitely changed the way we cook! But there is still gold to be found there…but there may be some updates required.
This casserole was originally called Hamburger Cheese Bake which sounded completely uninspired…and not very appetizing! But it looked really good! So I tried it out and made a couple of little changes and it is DELICIOUS! My husband LOVES it…and it makes for fabulous leftovers.
Before you do anything, cook the noodles. Follow the directions on the packaging…drain, rinse and set aside.
I like these campanelle noodles…use anything you like that is similar to egg noodles.
Brown the meat and onions together.
I prefer ground turkey over hamburger, but either works.
Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt and pepper. After it is heated through I like to salt and pepper to taste.
Grab a mixing bowl and whip together the cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream. Add in the green onions and green pepper and mix well.
Now build the casserole:
Spread half of the cooked pasta in the baking dish.
Spread on half of the meat mixture…then drop spoonfuls of the cheese mixture on top. Spread it with a spoon.
Then do it again!
Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese, throw it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve with your favorite veggie.
- 1 pound ground turkey or hamburger
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 14 ounces campanelle pasta or egg noodles **4 cups uncooked
- 1 cup cottage cheese, whipped or creamed **you can blend regular cottage cheese in a blender
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup green onion, sliced
- ⅓ cup green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup parmesan, shredded
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown meat and onions until meat is no longer pink and onions are soft. Drain any juices or oil and set aside.
- Stir in tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Mix and cook until bubbling. Remove from heat. **Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl mix together cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, green onion and green pepper.
- Spread half the noodles in a 9×13" or similar baking dish.
- Spoon on half of the meat sauce.
- Cover with half of the cheese mixture by dropping by spoonfuls over the meat mixture and gently spreading.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese mixture.Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.