Here’s the deal. You can go and buy kinetic sand everywhere. And it’s great!
BUT, this is different. The MAKING of it is WONDERFUL.
Let the kids feel the sand. Now feel the corn starch, and how does that feel different?
They LOVE the feel of mixing the cornstarch into the sand. Sawyer says the sand is eating the cornstarch.
Then they get to mix the dish soap into the water and trying to make bubbles.
Then pour it into the sand
I told them they could use spoons, but NO. They chose to use their hands which is sooo much better.
Add in the oil or liquid corn starch……I originally added 1/4 cup…It DOES change the texture but it you really want it to stick together add the full 1/2 cup.
I have had kinetic sand at my house forever ready for the kids to play. But this was SO MUCH BETTER!
I was delighted how much they LOVED making it.
- 2 cups colored sand *You can use uncolored sand and add food coloring to the liquid if desired.
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ teaspoon dish soap
- ½ cup vegetable oil OR liquid starch *the end product is about the same
- Pour sand into large mixing bowl or bucket.
- Add cornstarch and mix very well, until all the cornstarch is incorporated.
- Measure water into small bowl and stir in dish soap, stirring until it makes bubbles.
- Pour into sand.
- Add the oil or liquid starch.
- Mix well....using hands works best.