This is Colleen Mott’s lasagna. It’s the lasagna I grew up with and it’s a little different from the norm.
This is definitely NOT authentic Italian lasagna…for one thing there is no ricotta cheese layer.
And secondly, we use Swiss cheese! I don’t know what to tell you, but it’s delicious!
Brown hamburger and garlic in pot. This smell always takes me back to my mom’s kitchen.
Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and paste. Stir in spices. ***It’s all in the sauce! People comment on it every time I make it.
Heat to boiling, turn down heat and cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Cook noodles according to directions on package.
Drain, rinse in cold water and lay out on paper towels.
Prepare your cheeses. Sometimes I just go with what is in my refrigerator. ** I had leftover gruyere and sliced it up to add along with the swiss cheese.
Cover bottom of pan with thin layer of sauce.
Cover with 3 lasagna noodles. Tear swiss cheese into pieces and spread over noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
Cover with a good layer of sauce. Once again cover with 3 noodles, swiss cheese, and this time sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I alternate mozzarella and parmesan each layer.
Continue until you have 5 layers of noodles.
Cover noodles with swiss cheese, grated parmesan and remaining sauce. Cover top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 35 minutes and serve with your favorite crusty bread!
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 cans tomato sauce 15 ounce cans
- 1 can stewed or diced tomatoes 14-15 ounce
- 1 6 ounce tomato paste 6 ounce
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 1 10-12 oz swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Cook noodles according to directions on box. When done, rinse with cold water and lay out flat on paper towels to drain.
- In large pot, brown ground meat and garlic. Drain off any oil.
- Add tomato sauce, stewed/diced tomatoes and paste.
- Stir in seasoning. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn to low, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cover bottom of 9×13 baking pan with a thin layer of sauce.
- Lay 3 noodles lengthwise in pan.
- Break up 2 slices of swiss cheese and scatter over noodles. Sprinkle with ½ cup of parmesan.
- Cover with about 1 cup of sauce.
- Cover with 3 more lasagna noodles. Break apart 2 slices of swiss cheese and spread evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with ½ cup grated mozzarella. *Continue layering noodles, cheese and sauce until you have 5 layers of noodles. I alternate mozzarella and parmesan cheese each layer.
- On top layer, add swiss cheese and parmesan cheese. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 35 minutes.