I think these are the best lettuce wraps you will ever taste! Corinne and I both have been working on this recipe over the years and I think we finally got it right! So go no further!
My first experience with lettuce wraps happened many years ago when a new Cheesecake Factory opened in town and my daughter-in-law was so excited to go for their lettuce wraps, which she assured me were amazing! After waiting in line for over 2 hours we were seated and told that they were out of lettuce wraps! But I definitely ordered them the next chance I had and I have loved them ever since. Many different restaurants serve them with a lot of variations, but the key is THE SAUCE!
Chop up the onion and red pepper and saute in the oil. Add in the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- 1 Tbsp oil **any kind of cooking oil is fine
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 head lettuce **Iceberg, mini romaine or bibb.
- 2 Tbsp Japanese barbecue sauce **can substitute soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1½ Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp corn starch
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup peanuts or cashews, chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute onions and red pepper 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken or turkey and brown while breaking apart. Cook until no longer pink. Stir in water chestnuts.
- Make sauce by whisking all ingredients together.
- Pour sauce over meat. Stir and heat until bubbling. Turn down and simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Allow meat to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Clean and dry lettuce. Break apart leaves into serving size.
- Spoon meat filling onto lettuce. Top with carrots and nuts.