Who doesn’t LOVE empanadas? Make them with ground turkey and wonton wrappers and they are actually lo-fat and lo-calorie! Make a bunch and keep them in the fridge for lunch or snacks!
These are also a great side dish with any Mexican entree. Serve with enchiladas and a salad! YUM!
Cook the turkey until browned and broken apart.
I left the pepitas whole but you may want to chop them if you don’t like the texture.
This filling is so delicious and can be refrigerated for a couple of days.
Sometimes it’s hard to find round wonton wrappers. I cut these with a 3 inch round cookie cutter. OR just make them triangles. They taste just as good!
Whisk the egg white with a little water in small bowl. Lay out the wonton wrappers and put a spoonful of filling in the center of each wrapper.
- ½ pound ground turkey
- ½ small onion. finely chopped
- ¼ cup green olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp toasted pepitas, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1¾ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 30 3 inch wonton wrappers **if using square wrappers, cut with 3 inch round cookie cutter
- 1 egg white
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat.
- Add the turkey and onion and cook over medium-hi heat. Use a wooden spoon to break up meat while it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the olives, pepitas, tomato paste and spices. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk the egg white and ½ tsp water in a small bowl.
- Brush the edge of a wonton wrapper with egg white using fingers or brush.
- Spoon ¾-1 Tbsp onto each wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half over the filling and press together. **It helps to place to wonton filling-side down with the edges pointing up. Press together using extra egg white if necessary.
- Continue with all the wrappers. Place onto cookie sheet.
- Spray empanadas with cooking spray and bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite salsa.