I can remember coming home from school as a child and walking in the house to the smell of these cookies.
They evoke autumn, the Holidays and Christmas. When they are warm they just melt in your mouth…and amazing mixture of spices melting on your tongue.
I have seen many cookies over the years like Ginger snaps…but they are nothing like these.
I don’t know if I have ever seen another recipe like this. They are just really SPECIAL. Even when they cool they are soft and chewy.
It’s a pretty simple basic recipe.
Start by whipping together some shortening and sugar and then whip in molasses and an egg.
And YES. Use shortening instead of butter for this. It helps to create this perfect texture.
Add flour and all the amazing spices.
Mix well and form into balls. Roll in sugar and place on cookies sheets.
Bake for 8-10 minutes and enjoy these AMAZING, DELICIOUS COOKIES.
Molasses Cream Sandwich Cookies
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 Tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Use a mixer to blend the shortening and sugar.
- Add the molasses and egg. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients together and stir into wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Using your hands, make dough into balls about the size of a walnut. Roll in sugar and place on cookie sheet. **Cookies can be placed directly on ungreased cookie sheet, or lined with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Cool on rack.
- Whip all ingredients together with a hand mixer.
- When cookies are cooled, spread about 1 Tbsp of buttercream on the bottom of a cookie and top with another.Store in a tightly covered container.