This is an August MUST have. This is my friend Emily’s recipe that she shared about 10 years ago with me when we were both living in Portland, on the edge of the Columbia River Gorge where the most beautiful peaches are in season this time of year. Peaches were cheap, easy and delicious in August.
When we moved to Denver I was really bummed and missed all the berry farms and orchards where we could go all summer long and pick fresh fruit and vegetables.
THEN I discovered PALISADE PEACHES. They grow in Palisade, Colorado which is just west of Grand Junction. Our high school marching band does a fundraiser every year selling boxes of Palisade Peaches in August. This peaches & cream dessert is the first thing I make every year when my box of Palisades arrive.
First make the graham cracker crust. Crush up 2 sleeves of crackers or you can BUY a box of graham crumbs found in most baking aisles. Add in the powdered sugar and butter.
Use a fork or your fingers to blend together till it resembles wet sand. Measure out about a cup of crumbs to use later. Press the rest into a 9×13 baking dish.
Fill up the dish with peeled and sliced FRESH peaches. Yes, they have to be fresh. Depending on the size of the peaches, this normally takes about 8-10 peaches.
**Pro Tip – Use ripe and freestone peaches. Freestone varieties of peaches means that the pit in the middle easily comes free. If you are doing something special with your peaches, I recommend that you check your chosen variety online to know whether they are freestone, clingstone or semi cling. My personal favorite are Elberta’s.
Next mix a can of sweetened condensed milk with lemon juice. I use bottled. Use a whisk till well blended. Drizzle over the top of the peaches. Carefully smooth and spread evenly over the top while trying not to move the peaches too much.
Whip up the whipped cream till it starts to thicken. Add powdered sugar to taste and vanilla extract. Whip till soft peaks form. Spread over the top.
Sprinkle the extra graham cracker crumbly over the top.
Serve up right away or refrigerate for later.
Peaches & Cream Dessert
- 2 sleeves graham crackers crushed
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 8-10 peaches, MUST be fresh, not frozen peeled & sliced
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1½-2 cups whipping cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Crush two sleeves of graham crackers. I like to use the food processer. Another option is to put them in a Ziploc bag, seal then roll over with a rolling pin till crushed.
- Add in the soft butter and powdered sugar. Use a fork or your fingers till completely blended and resembles wet sand.
- Measure out 1 cup and set aside to use on top later. Press the rest into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Layer peeled and sliced peaches over the graham cracker crust nearly to the top. Leave 1 inch of space between the peaches and rim of the dish. It depends on the size of the peaches, but it usually takes 8-10 peaches.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk with the lemon juice. Drizzle over the top of the peaches. Carefully smooth and spread to cover the top of peaches.
- Use a stand mixer with whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer to whip the whipping cream till it begins to thicken. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to whip till soft peaks form.
- Spread the cream over the top of the peaches. Sprinkle the leftover crumbs over the top. Serve up right away or refrigerate for later. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.