Whoopie Pies are a treasure. Making this pumpkin version is such a great autumn treat.
Autumn hits and suddenly it’s baking time! These are so easy and yet so special. They are made to impress!
Make the batter first. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix it all up!
Spoon by heaping teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet. You can make them bigger if you want.
Bake, checking for doneness by gently touching the top to see if it springs back.
Whip together cream filling ingredients with electric beaters.
Spread cooled cakes with cream and top with another.
Store these in a covered container….if they last that long!
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- 1¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15 ounce canned pumpkin
- ½ cup oil **vegetable, canola oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone sheet.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil and vanilla. **If using melted coconut oil, be sure to cool before adding.
- Mix egg and pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Don't overmix.
- Spoon heaping teaspoonful onto prepared baking sheets about an inch apart. **make larger if you wish.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. Top of cakes should spring back when tapped on top.
- Remove to cooling racks and cool completely.
- Place all filling ingredients into bowl and whip with electric beaters. Adjust the amount of milk as needed.
- Use knife to spread onto cooled cakes, top with another cake.
- Store in airtight container.