No meal screams AUTUMN like roasting chicken inside a pumpkin. And it is SERIOUSLY delicious. A warm and comforting meal for chilly autumn evenings.
Make sure and get a pumpkin big enough for the chicken and veggies BUT not too big to fit in your oven!
Cut a round hole in top and scoop out the insides.
Mix the potatoes, onions and carrots together and place half in the bottom the pumpkin.
Mix all the spices together.
Wash and dry the chicken and pat dry. Place fresh herbs and half of a lemon inside of chicken. Rub spices all over the chicken.
Place the chicken inside of the pumpkin with the opening facing up. Pour the remaining veggies all around the chicken.
Cover and throw in the oven for a nice, long roast.
And it comes out looking like this!
Remove the pumpkin lid and use a sharp knife to cut all around the sides to open it up.
Roasted Chicken in a Pumpkin
- I large pumpkin
- 1 3½-4 pound whole chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cups potatoes, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp rosemary, crushed
- 1 tsp thyme, crushed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2 tsp salt
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Cut a round top out of the pumpkin. Clean out all seeds and strings
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove all oven racks except for one rack at the lowest setting.
- Mix veggies together in a bowl. Pour half into bottom of pumpkin.
- Squeeze half a lemon over veggies. Add garlic and salt and pepper.
- Dry chicken with paper towels. Trim off any extra fat. Place fresh herbs and half of a lemon inside of chicken.
- Mix together garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, onion powder, black pepper, allspice and salt. Pat all over the chicken.
- Place the chicken inside of pumpkin with the lemon and herbs end facing up. Add the remaining veggies all around the sides of the chicken. Sprinkle in any remaining spices. Salt and pepper. Place lid on top.
- Place pumpkin in a large baking pan or roaster. Bake for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven. Remove pumpkin lid. Use a sharp knife to cut sides of pumpkin so that it opens up revealing the chicken and veggies.
- Serve chicken and veggies with a piece of pumpkin. Salt and pepper to taste.