This is the best Seven Layer Dip! We’ve done the work, and tried others for you, and THIS is the best one. I love making this the weekend after Thanksgiving. It’s easy and fast to make, and awesome to pull out during football watching or tree trimming, between shopping or while playing board games with the family.
It is the kind of snack that makes me happy because it is also nutritious, and filling. Which is why I sometimes will make it for lunch when all the kids are home from school during a holiday break.
Let’s get to the layers.
- Beans. Spread 1 can of your favorite refried beans over the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Avocado. Sometimes I grab a tub of prepared guacamole to use in this dip, or find some ripe avocados to mush up with some seasonings so it’s not so bland. I use Kosher salt, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Spiced Sour Cream. This layer is 1 cup Sour Cream, 1/2 cup Mayonnaise and Taco seasoning. If you need this to be gluten free, make sure your taco seasoning is GF. The mayonnaise helps cut the sourness of the cream, and makes it more creamy. DO NOT use Miracle Whip. It is too strong a flavor.
- Green Onions.
Eat with Tortilla Chips, and enjoy gathering with your people.
Seven Layer Dip
- 1 can Refried Beans or two cans Bean Dip found in the chip aisle
- 3 Avocados+2T lemon juice, ½ t salt & ¼ t pepper *or 16 oz. of guacamole
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 envelope Taco Seasoning
- 4 Green Onions thinly sliced
- 4 Roma Tomatoes chopped
- 1 can Black Olives sliced
- 1 cup Cheddar or Mexican blend Cheese shredded
- 1 bag Tortilla Chips
- In a 9x13 baking dish spread 1 can of refried beans (or 2 cans bean dip. Smoosh and spread it evenly to cover the whole bottom of the dish from corner to corner.
- Layer two is avocado/guacamole. Spread out evenly prepared guacamole or, cut up Avocado and mash it up in a food processor. Could also use a hand mixer or fork to mash up. I add seasonings - 1½ teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, a few shakes of Cayenne pepper and a few drops of lime juice if it is on hand. Then spread it evenly over the bean layer.
- Layer 3 - Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning. After it is well blended spread evenly over the avocado layer.
- Layer 4 - Spread evenly the chopped tomatoes over the sour cream layer.
- Layer 5 - Next spread the sliced olives evenly over the tomatoes.
- Layer 6 - Sprinkle the Sliced green onions over the top.
- Layer 7 - Cover the top in shredded Cheese.
- Try to scoop through all seven layers with a tortilla chip and enjoy!