Shrimp and Grits has long been one of my favorite things to order when out to eat. My very favorite version was served at a restaurant that closed down during Covid! Such a loss. It was PERFECTION!
The thing about this dish is the amazing mix of flavors and textures that is like nothing else. Corinne and I both have worked on a recipe for quite some time and I think we have finally hit the target.
This dish comes together pretty fast and is really quite easy to make. I think there are two important notes on this:
1– Don’t over cook the shrimp.
2–Thin the grits before serving so that they are a wee bit runny…and make sure they are nice and hot before serving.
I used the Quick 5-minute grits and cooked them in a mixture of milk and chicken broth. Be sure and whisk while they are cooking so that they are nice and creamy.
Add in a little butter and Boursin cheese to make these grits crazy tasty. Cover and keep warm.
Cut up the bacon and fry until nice and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate or bowl.
Add the chopped veggies to the bacon grease and sauté over medium-high heat until veggies are softened.
Move the veggies aside and place the shrimp in the hot pan in a single layer. Season with cajun seasoning or a pepper mix along with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute and turn over…season again.
Sear for another minute. Then stir and cook for another couple of minutes.
Spoon up some grits then add the shrimp and top off with bacon bits.
Shrimp and Grits
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup 5-minute grits
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ 5.2 oz Boursin Cheese with garlic and herbs
Shrimp and bacon
- 4 oz bacon
- 1 cup chopped veggies **combination of onion, green pepper and red pepper
- 1 pound raw shrimp-medium to large **peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning or chili mix
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼-½ tsp Sriracha sauce **or your favorite hot sauce
- Add milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper to a sauce pan. Cook and stir over medium high until it just comes to a boil.
- Slowly add grits while whisking, When mixture returns to a boil turn heat to low and cook and whisk until mixture thickens, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and Boursin cheese.
- Cover until ready to serve. **Before serving thin with milk if necessary. I like the grits to be just a tiny bit runny.
Shrimp and bacon
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined dish. Do not drain the bacon grease.
- Turn the heat to med-hi and add the chopped veggies to the pan. Cook and stir until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Move aside veggies and lay the shrimp in a single layer. Sprinkle with cajun seasoning or chili mix, salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook for 60 seconds. (Do NOT over cook)Turn the shrimp and season again.
- Allow to cook another 60 seconds.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice and Sriracha . Cook and stir another 1-2 minutes.Remove from heat.
- Reheat the grits if needed and thin if necessary. Spoon ¾-1 cup of grits onto plate or bowl.
- Top with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with bacon bits.