This savory pie is a Colorado creation. It is baked in a pie dish, using the pasta as the crust. Traditionally that is topped with a ricotta cheese layer and then spaghetti sauce. We added a veggie layer to ours and it makes it even better. This definitely qualifies as Comfort Food.
Create the pasta crust by mixing cooked spaghetti noodles, butter, eggs and parmesan cheese.
Mix well and pour into pie dish.
Layer roasted zucchini and diced tomato on top of the pasta.
Make sauce by saute-ing onions and turkey sausage. Add in your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce. Spoon on top of pie.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and cover with cheese and garnish with a tomato slice, roasted zucchini slices and fresh basil.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Slice into wedges to serve.
- 1 9-10 inch pie plate. **or a deep dish pie plate
- 6 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- 1 large tomato **make a nice slice and set aside
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ pound ground turkey sausage **I use sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 2 cups favorite red pasta sauce
- 1-1½ cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice tomato
- 10-12 slices zucchini
- fresh basil, roughly torn
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to package directions for 1 minute less than al dente. Drain but do not rinse.
- Place in medium mixing bowl. Stir in butter until melted. Beat eggs together in a small bowl and add to noodle mixture along with parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Spray a 9-10 in pie plate with cooking spray. Pour in noodle mixture and use the back of a spoon to form a crust. Set aside.
- Prepare zucchini by thinly slicing and spreading on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Spray tops and bake for 15 minutes, keeping watch so they don't burn.
- Save out 10-12 slices of zucchini and spread the remainder on top of spaghetti crust.
- Set aside 1 slice of the tomato and dice the remainder. Press between paper towels to remove excessive moisture. Spread on top of zucchini.
- In medium bowl, mix the ricotta and seasonings. Spread on top of veggies.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Saute onions for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Add ground turkey sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in pasta sauce and cook until heated through. Spread over cheese layer on pie, leaving the edges uncovered.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread mozzarella cheese over sauce. Remove wet sections from tomato slice and place in the center of the pie. Circle with zucchini slices. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Bake 10-12 minutes longer. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.