This is a Myrna Ritz Approved recipe! Years ago I discovered it one September day in her cookbook after I had bought many pounds of apples from an orchard nearby.
This cake is always a huge hit! I love making it on Autumn days when friends come over. It is also super yummy the next morning for breakfast! *wink wink*
Start by peeling and grating your apples. I LOVE to involve my kids in this part. It is the most time consuming part of the recipe. I love that this cake has become a family tradition of ours. Making together and eating it together.
Set the apples aside for a bit. In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and eggs.
Next dump in those grated apples. Use a large spoon to fold the apple into the creamed mixture.
Measure in the rest of ingredients. Stir and fold it all together till well combined, without over mixing.
Pour into a prepped baking dish. I use the Demarle Sunflower mold.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes according to recipe instructions based off of your baking dish size.
After it bakes, I let it sit and cool while I make the carmel sauce. If you use a mold like I did, flip it over onto a cooling rack out of the mold.
For the carmel sauce, start by putting the butter into a hot saucepan. Let it melt a little and add the brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat while stirring occasionally. Let cook in a low boil for no more than 5 minutes. Do not let it cook hotter than soft ball stage.
Slowly pour in the cream.
Cook and stir for about one minute more till the cream is fully incorporated.
Cut the cake into slices and scoop up some ice cream. Drizzle the carmel over the top.
Make sure to store the carmel in the refrigerator.
Spiced Apple Cake with Carmel Sauce
- 4 med.-lg. size Apples peeled and grated
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup Butter room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅔ cup White corn syrup
- ¾ cup Whipping cream can sub with half & half or canned evaporated milk
- Peel and shred or grate the apples. This is the most time consuming part of the recipe. Turn on some good music and get grating! If you've got friends or kids at home, have them help with this part. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cream together the sugar, butter and eggs.
- Fold in the grated apples.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Use a large wooden spoon to fold and stir all of it together till well mixed.
- Prep a 9×13 baking dish, or 2-8 inch rounds by light greasing or rubbing or spraying with a little oil. I use my Demarle Sunflower Mold to bake this cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, unless you are doing two 8 inch rounds, then bake for 30 minutes.
- Put the butter into a hot saucepan. Melt it at least halfway before adding the sugar. Stir the brown sugar and butter together over medium heat. Add in the corn syrup. Bring to a low boil while stirring occasionally. Boil for a few minutes, not letting the carmel cook past the soft ball stage.
- Add the cream slowly while stirring. Let the carmel cook for one more minute.
- Take off the heat. Pour into a small pitcher or glass measuring cup so it is easy to pour and drizzle over your individually cut cake pieces. Best served with vanilla ice cream.