Many years ago, my friend Sharon brought these yummy squares to a gathering. It was during strawberry season in Oregon, and we had picked strawberries together with our kids earlier that day at a U-pick farm. Every year now, this is usually the first thing I make with Strawberries when the season starts.
When I asked Sharon for the recipe, she laughed and said she didn’t have one! She just made it up! She told me the basic gist of what she did. Over time I have perfected the ingredients and measurements so I can pass it on now.
First start with the shortbread crust. I have used a pastry cutter, fork, or electric hand mixer to blend together the ingredients. It is ready when it is crumby but hold together well when pressed.
Press the crumble into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature while you prep the cream layer and strawberry sauce.
Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. While the mixer is on low, slowly add in the cream. Scrape the sides as needed, and whip till it is smooth and firm.
Spread the cream over the cooled crust.
Next, in a small saucepan mix together the corn starch and sugar. Slowly add in the water over medium high heat. Whisk till thick and bubbly.
Add in a few drops of red food coloring. Then stir in 2 cups of chopped strawberries. Let it cool to warm temperature, then spread evenly over the cream layer.
I recommend chilling for an hour before cutting into squares.
Strawberries & Cream Bars
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz cream cheese block
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup water
- 3 drops red food coloring optional, but hightly recommended
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Using a pastry cutter, fork or electric hand mixer mix together the butter, flour and powdered sugar till crumbly, but holds together when pressed.
- Spray with oil or lightly grease a lightly 9×13 baking dish. Press the crumble into a smooth, solid crust in to the bottom of the dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Let it cool before adding on the next layers.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, blend the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on low, while slowly pouring in the cream.
- Slowly up the speed of the mixer. Stop and scrape the sides, as needed. Whip till is smooth and firm.
- Spread the cream layer evenly over the cooled crust.
- With a whisk, blend together the sugar and corn starch. Slowly add the water while whisking.
- Whisk over medium high heat till thick and bubbly. Take off the heat.
- Whisk in a few drops of red food coloring if desired. If you choose not to, it won't affect the flavor, but it will not look very appetizing.
- After the sauce cools a bit, add in the chopped strawberries.
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature before spreading over the cream layer.
- Recommended to chill for 1 hour before eating. Cut into squares to chill.