Every time I make Tamale Pie I am reminded how good it is! Like, REALLY DELICIOUS! A Mexican version of comfort food.
The mixture of meat and veggies is so good, but it’s the corn flour topper that makes it.
This isn’t corn meal…it’s CORN FLOUR. You will find it in the grocery store next to regular flour.
Mix up and spread in baking dish.
In mixing bowl, stir together the Masa (corn flour), baking powder and salt.
Stir in broth, melted butter and cheese.
Be careful to not over-stir. If the mixture becomes too thick, add in a little more chicken broth.
Drop by spoonfuls onto meat and veggies.
I use my hands to break it up evenly.
I leave my topping “as is” but if you want to smooth it, just use a large metal spoon dipping it in warm water as you go.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, but really as long as you want to make the topping crunchy.
The topping is light and crunchy and SO GOOD!
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn; frozen, fresh or canned
- 1 15 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1 4 ounce diced green chilis
- 1 15 ounce canned black beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ cup cheese, grated *cheddar or mix
- 2¼ cup Masa (corn flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray 9×13" pan with cooking spray.
- In large skillet, brown meat with onion, peppers and garlic. Drain off any liquid.
- Stir in corn, tomatoes, black beans and chilis. Heat through.
- Add corn starch, spices and cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread with spoon.
- Mix Masa (corn flour), baking powder and salt together in mixing bowl.
- Stir in broth, butter and cheese. Don't overmix or it will become claggy. If it becomes too thick, add a little more broth.
- Drop by spoonfuls on top of meat and veggie mixture. I use my hands, it's easier to work with.
- If you want the top smooth, dip a large metal spoon in warm water and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until topping is golden brown on edges.