Summer’s bounty produces the most wonderful, delicious tomatoes and making them into a tart is summer heaven.
Make your own pie crust (pie crust )or use premade crusts. I like the refrigerated ones that come rolled up. Form all the dough into a ball and roll it out into a rectangle.
Roll it onto a baking sheet and go around the edges with your fingers and make a crust.
If you are a mustard lover, spread it with Dijon mustard. It gives it a nice kick. If not just leave it off.
Sauté the onions until they are carmelized and spread them over the crust.
Now for the cheese…CHEESE MATTERS. For something like this I like to browse the gourmet cheeses and choose something yummy. Try whatever you like!
TOMATOES. You can really use any kind of tomatoes. You could cover the whole thing in grape tomatoes! I found a beautiful selection of summer tomatoes at Trader Joe’s.
Brush the crust with egg wash…
Cool for a bit and sprinkle with fresh basil.
- 2 single pie crusts ***Use 2 store-bought pie crusts OR make a double recipe: pie crust
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard *optional
- 1-2 large onions
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups cheese -**use a mixture of any good melting cheese. I used smoked gouda and parmesan.
- fresh tomatoes **use any variety
- fresh basil
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Form dough for pie crust into a ball. On a floured surface, roll out into a large rectangle. Use rolling pin to lift onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Form crust around the edges of the tart, Poke to dough with a fork all over.
- Spread the crust with mustard if desired.
- Slice the onions into half rings. Melt butter in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the onions evenly over the crust.
- Grate the cheese and spread evenly over the onions.
- Slice tomatoes and lay over the cheese. If using grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
- Whisk the egg + 1Tbsp of water and brush over the crust.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Cool 15 minutes and cut into squares.