We love this easy and healthy go to meal. Years ago a friend made a version of this in her crockpot for me. I never got the recipe, but I love this meal so I came up with my own recipe for it.
One of my favorite things about these sandwiches is that they are easily wrapped up and ready for dinner on the go. Perfect for a busy night! I recently made them when my 15-year-old had a play practice right after school, and I knew he was going to want dinner brought to him. He was thrilled to get one of these wrapped in foil as opposed to some fast food.
Instructions for cooking in the Instant pot and Crockpot are both included on the recipe card below.
Place the chicken, oil, vinegar and seasonings in the instant pot. Lock the lid on and close the valve. Cook according to the recipe. The times will change based on the chicken being frozen or thawed.
While it’s cooking slice and sauté the bell pepper. When it’s done cooking, release the steam valve. Shred the chicken then add the bell pepper and fresh spinach leaves.
Use tongs or a large spoon to stir the spinach and bell pepper in. Let it sit for a few minutes to let the spinach soften and steam a bit. Warm the flatbread or rolls while the spinach is cooking.
Use a large, slotted spoon or tongs to serve up the chicken onto the bread. Let the liquid drip off before putting on the bread.
Sprinkle on some shredded mozzarella, and dig in!
Tuscan Chicken Sammies
- 1 Pressure Cooker or Crockpot
- 2 lbs Chicken breast or thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1-2 tsp Kosher salt to taste
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 cup Spinach must use fresh, not frozen
- 8 Greek Flatbread or Rolls
- Shredded mozzarella
- Lightly spray Instant pot with oil. Place about 2 pounds of chicken breast inside. I often use frozen.
- **IF you are using thawed chicken add ¼ cup water in with the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil and vinegar over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning and salt over the chicken.
- Put on the lid, close the valve. If chicken is frozen, set the manual time for 15 minutes. If the chicken is thawed, set the manual time for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, slice the pepper and sauté in a fry pan with a little oil. Cook and stir till the slices of pepper are crisp-tender. Set aside to add later.
- When the time is done, open the valve to release the steam. Let it sit for 5 minutes after the steam has all released.
- Pull the chicken out onto a cutting board. Use two large forks to pull apart and shred. Put it back into the pot with liquid. Add the peppers and fresh spinach. Stir all together and let sit for a few minutes to let the spinach soften and steam a bit.
- Warm the flatbread or rolls in the oven at 350° for 4-5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to serve up the shredded chicken onto the bread. Let the liquid drip off before you place on the bread. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on top before serving.