I started making this dish years ago when I was searching for more vegetable dishes to put on the Thanksgiving table. We love pickles and love to try different kinds of pickles. I cannot remember where I got this recipe or who gave it to me. All I know is that these cucumbers are not really pickles, but they are DELICIOUS! All of my kids even love them.
A few years after starting to make these for Thanksgiving, I started making them more often to go with other dishes. They are great in the Summer with grilling and fresh cucumbers from the garden. I also really love them with curry for some reason. Especially my Indonesian Beef Curry.
Start by partially peeling your cucumbers.
You may do this however you like. Don’t peel at all, or peel all the way, or like me, peel partially. I like some skin, it’s good texture since the cucumber flesh softens quite a bit, but I don’t like too much skin.
Next, gather the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer in a small saucepan.
Once it has simmered for a few minutes and the sugar has completely dissolved, then pour over the top.
Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled.
Sweet Hot Cucumbers
- 1 cup vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash basil
- 3-4 cucumbers
- Peel the cucumbers leaving some peel on. Peel a strip off, then leave a strip on, going every other around each cucumber. Then, rinse them under cold water. Next slice into even slices. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- In saucepan, heat to boiling all ingredients except cucumbers.
- Pour hot liquid over sliced cucumbers in the bowl.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to cool for several hours or overnight. Chill for a minimum of 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve chilled.